Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Science of the Supermarket

When I was born my parents didn't take me home from the hospital, instead they took me straight to the supermarket. My childhood was spent running up and down the isles, cruising through the warehouse and eventually getting my first job as a courtesy clerk and working in the stores all through college. The supermarket was a major part of my upbringing. It wasn't until I became a science educator that I realized how full of science the supermarket is!



From Psychology to Physics
From music to product placement there is a psychology to supermarkets. Happy, upbeat tunes keep shoppers strolling down isles as they gather products from spaces and end-caps that they didn't necessarily need to purchase. And the store shelves are lined with basic items that can easily turn your kitchen into a working science lab. You can discover how to make a rubber egg or produce carbon dioxide gas by creating a simple chemical reaction. Innovate your own bio-plastic or special lemonade formula. The possibilities of what you can do with supermarket science is endless!

So follow me and as I help you turn your kitchen into your very own lab with fun and quick experiments! Be sure to share  any projects that you do or new innovations that you create.

Have fun and remember...Smart Is Cool!

XOXO,
Miss Science

No comments:

Post a Comment